4 December 2019
Hilton London Tower Bridge,
General Average Seminar
Understand the fundamentals of General Average, YAR 2016 and revisions to key clauses
A 2-day seminar exploring the practical issues, commercial implications, and legal backbone of general average.
Synthesis of seminar results
This year, we learned how the industry can best overcome the insurance, legal and operational challenges that present themselves when dealing with general average.
A review of ultra large container ship accidents in 2018
The seminar attendees explored the latest legal cases in the news taking a closer look at the practical issues arising from the latest GA incidents.
Essential information on the theory and principles of GA including 2016 York Antwerp Rules changes
Jolien Krut from Van Traa delivered a presentation on the overrated significance of the York Antwerp Rules looking in more detail at aspects not regulated by the Rules and also CMI guidelines.
BIMCO's revisions to GA clauses
Donald Chard from BIMCO provided an introduction to the reason and effect of BIMCO’s revision to their specialist general average clauses.
Trouble shooting discussion sessions – key areas covered:
- Should you or shouldn't you declare – cost/benefit analysis
- Challenges of managing containership general average
- Security collection is an expensive, paper driven exercise in a digital world. Can we do better and who needs to make it happen?
The insurer's perspective on GA and factors influencing hull and machinery and cargo claims
Per-Åge Nygård from the Norwegian Hull Club discussed hull machinery exposure and challenges likely to arise in general average claims, whilst Gregg Newman from WK Webster discussed cargo claims handling issues.
Workshop on practical issues relating to GA
Expert guidance on the implications of general average incidents for the various shareholders involved, including the procedures to be followed when an incident occurs, management of distressed cargo, legal issues arising in general average incidents and practical adjusting exercises.
In the wake of Maersk Honam
Maersk Line has issued new guidelines for the stowage of dangerous cargo to improve safety measures across its 750-strong fleet of vessels.
The company evaluated 3,000 United Nations hazardous materials classification numbers to produce its new set of stowage guidelines.
Expert speaker line up for 2018 included:
Who Should Attend
This course would be perfect for anyone looking to:
- Get a thorough grounding in this much discussed and often misunderstood principle of maritime law.
- Gain insight into the key changes in the York Antwerp Rule 2016 revisions and BIMCO’s amendments to their Average Bond & Absorption clauses.
- Take part in a legal examination of the issues that arise during general average cases.
- Understand the various factors that can influence shipowner and insurer exposure.
- Be introduced to average adjuster best practice.
- Be led by industry experts through a series of casualty scenario sessions – putting the theory you’ve learnt straight to the test.
- Walk away having gained a unique insight into what general average is, what it does, and how it affects you!
Excellent introduction to the topic
Mills & Co
Very interesting seminar
A very informative seminar with excellent speakers
Tindall Riley Britannia
TAKE YOUR CAREER EVEN FURTHER!
Lloyd’s Maritime Academy is the world’s largest provider of professional development courses and academic education qualifications for the maritime industry. Our exceptional programmes are carefully designed both in-house and in partnership with renowned educational bodies.
Take one of our LMA online courses and provide a coveted boost to you and your team!
LOOKING TO DEVELOP YOUR TEAM?
To explore more about how we can work with you:
Call: +44 (0) 20 7017 4399